Blackjack is by far the most popular table game played in casinos. This simple card game pits you against a dealer, who must play systematically. We’re going to go over all aspects of blackjack, including explaining the goal of the game, how to play, and how to implement a basic strategy. Read this guide from top to bottom, and you’ll be a blackjack wizard in no time.
Goal of Blackjack
The purpose of the game is to get a score closer to 21 than the dealer, without going over. Cards 2 to 10 have face value; Aces have a value of 1 or 11; face cards are worth 10.
How to Play Blackjack
To get started, open a Blackjack game at any casino listed at Casinorank. Each round involves three easy steps.
- Click on the chips to place a bet. You can bet as little as $1 per hand and as much as $500 per hand.
- Hit “Deal.” You’ll receive two face-up cards, and the dealer will receive one face-up card and one face-down card.
- Choose to Surrender, Double, Stand or Hit. If you get two identical cards (for example two Jacks), you can Split.
- Surrender: Give up the hand and half of your wager.
- Double: After receiving your two-card hand, you can double your wager. A third card will be dealt to you.
- Stand: Stick with your current hand. No additional cards will be dealt to you.
- Hit: Receive one additional card.
- Split: When you receive two of the same cards in your initial hand, you can split them into two separate hands. Your bet will be doubled, and you’ll receive one new card for each hand
- At Café Casino, the dealer must hit on a soft 17. A soft hand is any hand that has an 11-point Ace.
Basic Black Jack Strategy
Blackjack strategy involves making the optimal move for every hand, based on probabilities. While implementing sound strategy doesn’t guarantee a win, it increases the chances of making a profit in the long run. There’s no need to be a math wizard to follow basic strategy either; Blackjack Strategy Charts have been produced since the game became popular in the early 20th century. In the chart below, you can see the optimal move for every possible hand. Just scroll down the left-most column to find your hand’s value, then navigate to the right to match it with the dealer’s visible card. After implementing the strategy into your game for a few rounds, you’ll get the hang of things and be able to play independently.
Dealer’s Face-Up Card